Application Deadline! Applications for this post are now closed
Senga is a technology-enabled logistics start-up based in Nairobi, Kenya. Senga is transforming the logistics experience for African businesses with its proven Ship HappyÔ experience. We are looking for a smart software engineer interested in building beautiful, transformational technology, to join our team. Do you live to code, want to join a growing startup working on challenging problems, and be part of a team building something from the ground up? Does what we describe below sound like you? If it does, give us a shout at firstname.lastname@example.org - we look forward to hearing from you!
About the role
As a software engineer, you will be responsible for building the Senga platform. You will design, build, and own the services and infrastructure for the Senga web application and mobile applications. You are very good at mathematics and logic, are flexible, and have a high ability to adapt to different coding languages and technologies.
This is a full-time *in-office* role. We find that we are out our most productive when we work alongside our team members.
Roles and responsibilities
- Build multi-platform applications for Android and iOS using the Flutter development framework.
- Develop software using our development stack; give input into its evolution. We use Ruby on Rails, Flutter and ReactJS.
- Deliver the web platform used by our Shippers, Transporters and Senga administrative staff. Be a major contributor to the Agile Software Methodology in use at Senga.
- Develop and maintain high throughput API’s that will serve different components of the application.
- Work cross-functionally with other team members and stake holders to design and implement Senga’s web and mobile applications
Desired Skills and Experience
- You must have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or similar program (no exceptions)
- You must have a minimum of three years of post-university experience writing and shipping software (we are considering multiple levels). Entry-level candidates who topped their university classes will be given an experience exception
- You must have a track record of high performance
- You must have experience designing, developing, testing, maintaining, and deploying software in the Flutter framework and Dart language for Android and iOS.
- You are experienced with developing user interface components and implementing them by following well-known Flutter / Dart workflows and practices.
- You are comfortable with system architecture and component design and are able to use design patterns. Having experience with a cloud platform is a plus.
- You are familiar with the Ruby on Rails, RSpec testing framework, OpenAPI specifications, ReactJs and Git.
- Develop features across multiple subsystems within our application by collaboration during requirements definition, designing, coding, testing and deployment. You have experience using development frameworks, relational databases, different virtualization platforms.
- Participate with operations and business teams to define plans for scaling, enhancing and standardizing Senga’s products
- Have experience in building data-driven applications and understand the need for instrumentation
- Demonstrate success at having been able to deliver products at scale individually or as part of a team. You get things done.
- Document proposed solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, etc.
- Be able to operate in an agile, fluid and ambiguous environment wearing 'multiple hats'
- You are a great collaborator and recognize that startups are team oriented, and that each team member contributes tangibly to the future of the company.
- You are able to speak your mind and listen to others, too.
(Candidates only – no recruiting firms, or freelance candidates, please.)