Order Desk is a multi-channel order management app that helps ecommerce merchants automate, organize, and control their order fulfillment process. Our customers include new and established merchants in ecommerce, fulfillment companies managing stores for their clients, and internationally-recognized people and brands—to name a few.
- We view customer support as essential to making a good product. The problems and questions our customers bring to us are what create the foundation of every project we work on, so we are all involved in support in some way. This allows everyone in our company to be in tune with our customers and knowledgeable about our product and the way it’s being used.
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion. We are serious about everyone on our team feeling safe, comfortable, heard, and valued at work.
- We are self-funded. We are committed to growing responsibly and working creatively within the constraints of our own progress. Our goal is to make a useful, accessible product based on the needs of our customers, not the demands of investors.
- We believe that remote work is the future. Being a remote company offers us the ability to connect with a team of people from all around the world. We also understand that each person has their own unique approach to their workflow and we trust our employees to manage their own time within their set working hours while keeping in mind that this role includes time-sensitive work.
- We believe in quality, not quantity. We don’t use metrics or KPIs to measure the success of our teams. While productivity and response times are important, providing stellar support and empathy to our customers is the priority.
- We are generous. We teach and learn from each other on a daily basis. Decisions are often made collectively based on the wisdom and experience we each bring to the conversation.
About the role
- This is a full-time Junior PHP developer position. Our application is written in PHP and connects to over 300 third-party services in order to import and export orders, shipment, and product information to and from these other services.
- You will primarily be responsible for troubleshooting customer problems, helping the support team with their technical questions, fixing bugs, and adding new features. While most of what you will be doing is typical of a PHP developer, your daily responsibilities will also include talking to our customers and partners directly through our ticketing system.
- The entire Order Desk team is generous with our knowledge and our time, and we teach and learn from each other on a daily basis. Decisions are often made collectively based on the experience we each bring to the conversation. We are willing to look beyond our own ideas and comforts to grow our potential and do the right thing for our customers and each other.
- Here's what a day as a developer at Order Desk could look like.
- You'll need to start with a fresh cup of coffee. Open up the tickets that our support team has escalated to the developers. Pick one ticket you think you can handle, and spend some time trying to debug it. Once you have found the issue, test your code locally and push your changes to Git. Respond to the customer or partner about your successful fix and then go tell the documentation team if they need to make updates about your changes. Meanwhile, you will check Slack regularly to help answer questions our support team has that only a developer can answer. Communicate you're looking into it, quickly check the code and then go back and let them know the answer, taking the time to explain how it works if they have follow-up questions. Suddenly, you'll remember that a customer had the same question recently, so you begin thinking about building something into the app that will make that feature easier to use or understand. You come up with a plan and discuss it with the team. They all think it's an awesome idea, so you know you will use your amazing skills to build that new feature and collaborate with your team to continue to improve it.
Order Desk is committed to breaking structural barriers within our hiring progress and driving fair hiring practices in our workplace. Women and underrepresented minorities (URMs) continue to be underrepresented within our industry. Research has shown women and people of color disproportionately do not apply for jobs where they do not meet 100% of the “requirements.”Regardless of whether or not you identify as one of these groups, if you meet most of the requirements and this role aligns with your career goals, then we encourage you to bet on yourself and apply!
- You must be able to speak and write English fluently.
- Obstacles are not roadblocks to you; they are challenges to be figured out!
- You’re a problem solver who likes to find solutions rather than wait to be told what to do.
- You’re not afraid to ask questions, are comfortable admitting your own limitations, and see your gaps in knowledge not as flaws, but as opportunities to grow.
- You can explain solutions in simple, non-technical terms.
- You are eager to learn from our Senior Developers.
- You’re comfortable finding your way around a new codebase.
- You’re someone who can be self-directed and thrive in a remote environment.
- You appreciate the balance between fun and professionalism.
- You’re collaborative and thrive on sharing your thoughts, ideas, and problem-solving strategies with a diverse team.
- You are excited to collaborate daily with your colleagues.
- You can live anywhere globally and are okay working during US business hours (PST - Pacific Standard Time).
- You are not locked into using a particular PHP framework (Laravel, Symfony, etc.), but you are able to utilize appropriate libraries where needed.
- You know how to collaborate with a team using Git. You are comfortable creating feature branches, squashing your commits, and rebasing with the main branch before you push your work for review.
- The customer support aspect of the job requires strong reading comprehension skills. The ability to write well, and specifically, being able to explain technical concepts in a non-technical way concisely, is a must.
- You’re a learner and always want to find better answers and solutions. You aren’t afraid to be wrong if you know you can learn from your mistakes.
- You are eager to make an impact on your team and your customers with the work you do. You have the self-discipline and motivation to work efficiently and honestly in a remote company.
This is a junior-level role so the following skills are not required to apply for the role however if you got it, flaunt it!
- Experience with Twig templating, SCSS, unit testing, and Doctrine.
- Previous tech support experience
- Experience with a SaaS company.
This is a full-time position. The salary for this role is $40,000 USD/year.
Our international team members are hired as contractors but considered full-time, permanent members of our team.
Non-US-based employees are responsible for their own tax and statutory deduction payments.
All team members get (Responsibly) Unlimited PTO, a technology upgrade program, access to wellness and health services, and profit-sharing. When our company is successful, we all share in that success!
We (try to) meet in person every year or two for a company retreat - this year it was Mexico!
How to Apply
We are not expecting a cover letter and would rather you spend time answering the questions we have listed.
There are a few steps to our application process:
- Application Questions
- Follow-Up Questions
- Skills Test
- Video Response
If you are moved to the next round, we will contact you to let you know the next steps.
Our hiring team is pretty small so this process usually takes us about 3-4 weeks. We appreciate your patience while we review each application. By the conclusion of this process, we will follow up with everyone who applied. We don't take your time for granted.