Senga is a technology-enabled logistics start-up based in Nairobi, Kenya. Senga is transforming the logistics experience for African businesses with its proven Ship HappyÔ experience. We are looking for smart, Africa based software engineers interested in building beautiful, transformational technology, to join our team. Do you want to join a growing startup and be part of a team building something from the ground up? Does what we describe below sound like you? If it does, give us a shout at email@example.com - we look forward to hearing from you!
About the role
As a software engineer, you will be responsible for building the Senga platform. You will design, build, and own the services and infrastructure for the Senga web application and mobile applications. You are very good at mathematics and logic, are flexible, and have a high ability to adapt to different coding languages and technologies.
Roles and responsibilities
- Deliver the web platform used by our Shippers, Transporters and Senga administrative staff. We are using Ruby on Rails.
- Be a major contributor to the Agile Software Methodology in use at Senga
- Develop and maintain high throughput API’s that will serve different components of the application
- Work cross-functionally with other team members and stakeholders to design and implement Senga’s web and mobile applications
- Develop software using our development stack; give input into its evolution
Desired Skills and Experience
- You must have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or similar.
- You must have a minimum of two years post-degree experience writing and shipping software. This role is not for entry-level candidates.
- You are comfortable with system architecture and component design and are able to use design patterns. Having experience with a cloud platform is a plus.
- You are familiar with the RSpec testing framework, open API specifications, and Webpacker
- Develop features across multiple subsystems within our application by collaboration during requirements definition, designing, coding, testing and deployment. You have experience using development frameworks, relational databases, different virtualization platforms.
- Participate with operations and business teams to define plans for scaling, enhancing and standardizing Senga’s products
- Have experience in building data-driven applications and understand the need for instrumentation
- Demonstrate success at having been able to deliver products at scale individually or as part of a team. You get things done.
- Document proposed solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, etc.
- Be able to operate in an agile, fluid and ambiguous environment wearing 'multiple hats'
- You are a great collaborator and recognize that startups are team oriented, and that each team member contributes tangibly to the future of the company.
- You are able to speak your mind and listen to others, too.
(Candidates only – no recruiting firms, please.)
(If you have previously submitted an application to this role, there is no need to resubmit your application.)
How to Apply
Send us your application at firstname.lastname@example.org