The location of this position is to be Nairobi, Kenya. An expat benefit package is not available for this position. The most appropriate candidate will be eligible to work in and already reside in Kenya.
At Food for the Hungry, we operate under a set of guiding principles we call “The Heartbeat.” This includes our Values, Vision and Purpose, which serve as the explanation of who we are and how we work as an organization. Together we follow God’s call responding to human suffering and graduating communities from extreme poverty.
The Mid-Level I Software Developer is responsible for working towards the delivery of reliable software, writing code that adheres to industry best practices and FH programming policies. This position is expected to provide support for key business applications. This is a critical role to the design, implementation and support of in-house and off-the-shelf solutions that support the business operation worldwide.
• Assist with the design and development of complex diverse software systems as assigned.
• Analyze system specifications and translate system requirements to task specifications.
• Contributing to the creation of new distributed components and interactions that align with the future software and system architecture.
• Contribute to, enforce and maintain coding standards following industry best practices.
• Ensure and contribute to quality software development policy using automated testing.
• Communicate with technical and non-technical groups, making presentations to customers and peers.
• Interfacing with internal and external stakeholders to develop software requirements, write informative documentation, and to provide training and support to users.
• Working and interfacing with a technically diverse user community and a multi-disciplined integrated product team.
• Participate in the planning process on assigned projects.
• Maintain software solutions through performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability and automation.
• Respond promptly and professionally to bug reports and application support issues.
• Assist testers and support staff as needed to determine system problems.
• Responsible for analysis of applications including performance, diagnosis and troubleshooting of problem programs, and design solutions to problematic programming.
• Responsible for analyzing current programs and processes, and make recommendations, which yield a more cost effective product.
• Other duties as assigned.
Job Level Specifications
• Vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ, a Christian commitment to serving the poor and in full agreement with FH’s Christian beliefs expressed in The Heartbeat.
• Broad background in information technology, databases, software development, security and related concepts.
• Extensive knowledge of the Angular Framework (AngularJS, Angular).
• Strong expertise with HTML, CSS, and writing cross-browser compatible code.
• Experience in MySQL, PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server.
• Familiarity with RESTful API integration.
• Working experience with automated testing tools such as PHPUnit, Jasmine, Karma, Protractor, Selenium or similar.
• Must have strong debugging and troubleshooting skills.
• Direct experience designing and developing software for a real time system.
• Able to self-manage a diverse and dynamic set of responsibilities, proactively solve problems and / or suggest viable solutions while advancing goals and objectives.
• Ability to design and develop using Object Oriented design principles and software design patters to attain high reusability and maintainability.
• Must be able to work collaboratively with a distributed team and be flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities, as necessary.
• Ability to sit/stand at a computer for up to 8 hours a day doing repetitive motions on a keyboard.
• Ability to travel up to 10% of time per year in the US and internationally, to insecure countries or locations.
• Typically 3+ years of compensation experience in an IT environment.
• Practical working experience with a variety of business information applications, including collaboration tools, accounting and finance, communications and enterprise level databases.
• Prior experience in a complex, matrixed organization, with the ability to scale processes in a global, professional, service organization.
• Non-profit ministry experience a plus.
• Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Knowledge of project management tools and processes such as Scrum or other agile methodologies.
Proficiency in spoken and written English. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
FH strives to provide an environment free from sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment in all places where relief and development programs are implemented. FH holds a zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse and harassment. FH expects its employees to maintain high ethical standards, protect organizational integrity and reputation, and ensure that FH work is carried out in honest and fair methods, in alignment with the FH Heartbeat and safeguarding and associated policies. Violations to stated policies will be subject to corrective action up to and including termination of employment.